Mango Martini

Taste it...

Sunday, June 08, 2003

Okay, so it's been awhile since I've visited this page.

I pretty much quit my UCLA job and now I'm doing the LA Teaching Fellows. It's really a weird situation, because I never wanted to be a teacher. All my life I have struggled against the idea that all English majors will be teachers, and now I'm teaching. I'm such a hypocrite. It's strange though, because I really like it so far. The kids can be demanding, and frustrating, and irritating, and the whole thing is quite an emotionally draining experience, but it still feels like something I want to do.

I've been student teaching at Lincoln High School for the past few weeks, and the place is absolutely amazing. I really like my CT (Cooperating Teacher), and my classes have been enjoyable. The campus has a great atmosphere, and I feel like I'm at home there. And I can't say enough about my FA (Fellow Advisor) group. In the afternoons I meet with the coolest crowd to discuss what happens in the classroom and to learn and practice new teaching techniques. My fellow advisor is also out of this world. His name is Balthasar, how cool is that? And he's the most laid back, friggin coolest dude ever.

Last night I went out with Emily and Paul. It's been awhile since I've gone out. I've been a bit of a hermit (this teaching thing's taking a lot out of me!). But we did like five things in one night, so I think I satisfied a lot of my activity cravings. We went to this Ramen place for dinner that Emily picked, and then to Westwood to this place called "Q's" where Paul and his friend Kevin were teaching me and Emily how to play pool. I don't normally like snooker or whatever, but it wasn't bad, and I actually got one ball in the hole, although it wasn't on purpose. :) I think I should stick to jippii pool...I'm great at that. After that we went to this place called "Lush" and did a little dancing. There was a live band playing old school music and it was pretty fun. Then, of course, we headed on over to that karaoke place on Sawtelle, the name of which I can't remember right now. Whenever Emily and I are together, we have to go singing. :) When that was over we were all hungry, so we went looking for some grub. We found a Jack in the Box, but all these lame people kept cutting in front of us in the drive through so we left those losers and headed on over to the 24 hour Yoshinoya. I actually didn't eat anything, I have no idea why, but it still turned out to be a nice thing, except for that one moment when this guy touched Emily's arm! Ill. Men are disgusting.

So I didn't get home until about 4am, and I didn't wake up until maybe 1 or so in the afternoon. Now I have all this work to do, and I have no idea where all the time went. I have a job interview tomorrow at South Gate High, so I'm supposed to be preparing for that. Too bad I'm so tired, and the day is passing so quickly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home