Mango Martini

Taste it...

Wednesday, June 01, 2005

New Job

Diego has been wanting to do security for a night club for some time now. He went to two interview earlier on this year, but they were both for smaller venues and only offered $10 an hour. I've been poking around here and there, and I saw this posting for a club that was looking to offer $15-17/hr. This is much better. However, they wanted someone who was 6'4" minimum. Alas, Diego is only 6'1". The posting said NOT to apply if the height requirement could not be met. I looked at it for a couple of days and lamented a bit. Then, I decided to apply (for him) for it anyways. Hell, you never know, right? I said that I (he) was 6'2" (since that's his height with boots) and built like a wall. :) I went on about all my other attributes, etc. Surprisingly, he (I, since he has no computer, and I control his email) got a response the next day saying that he could be interviewed on Tuesday. I also got Diego an interview at an open call at White Lotus. I've always wanted to go there, btw, but I never wanted to spend the money.

Let's talk about the White Lotus interview first. I drove Diego to both interviews, since he had a final in his class that night, and I didn't want him to be stressed out because of traffic. I also made him a resume the night before. It took me over three hours!! The boy has never had a resume, and he didn't even know that they were printed on different paper....*sigh*

Needless to say, I created a damn fine resume for him. Hell, even I'd hire him off the resume itself. I had to wake up early in the morning to buy stupid resume paper as well, so I had a lot invested in these interviews.

When we got to White Lotus, there were maybe 25 people there. The place was interviewing wait-staff, as well as security, bartenders, barbacks, busboys, etc. After we got there, like 30 more people showed up.

Let me just say, I was the fattest person in there. Well, Diego's bigger than me, but we were the biggest people in there. I was the biggest girl, and he was the biggest guy. Everyone there was white (almost -- like 2 Asian people and 2 African American people mixed in) and wearing a sexy black shirt (guys and girls alike). I was this weird fat girl wearing a blue and white sweater. Diego was this big Mexican guy in a checkered maroon shirt. I swear, we were totally out of place. Moreover, we noticed that almost everyone had a headshot along with a resume. Dude, a headshot. To be a waitress!! I mean, yes, we were in Hollywood, but I guess I didn't realize how bad it was. Naive?

Diego got his 5 minutes interview and not even with the guy who was hiring. The guy who was hiring security didn't show up, so another guy talked to Diego and took his resume. They said they'd contact him in a week.

Slightly disheartening, but not entirely, because we went to the 6'4" interview first. It turns out that the club is Level 3 (or KISSclub) in the Hollywood-Highland complex. Diego went in for like 10 minutes, and the guy offered him the job. He starts tomorrow night and works through Saturday. The shift is from 8:30-2:30am. That kinda sucks. After tax, he makes about as much as he makes at his current weekend job, but it's more steady and it's a change of scenery and pace which he's been desiring. He has to wear a sports coat, so we went across the street to the suit outlet and he bought a black suit.

So, my baby's now a bouncer at Level 3. I've never been there, but I guess it's now some place that I'd check out. I feel conflicted about the whole thing. I want him to work and to do what he wants. But now he'll be working EVERY Friday and Saturday night. And the occasional Thursday or week day. I will now be alone on Friday and Saturday nights. Whether it be a movie, dinner, out with friends, a birthday party, a bbq, anything! I'll be going solo. :( He'll be more tired, and I'll see less of him. So I'm sad. We were also planning on going clubbing one of these days, and that looks like it's not going to happen, since he'll be working on club days. *sigh*

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home