Mango Martini

Taste it...

Wednesday, June 30, 2004

ANXIETY


Can you feel my pain?? Posted by Hello

Class begins tomorrow, and I'm not ready. I haven't really prepared anything, and I'm not sure what I'm going to do. The week will only be two days long, and full of administrative things, so hopefully things will be alright, but still....what if I can't be mean again? What if I don't do the rules correctly, or my kids kill me on the first day (figuratively speaking, of course)? My 5th period is going to have 41 students, and that number will only grow before the second or third week is out. I'm sure that I won't even have enough desks. I hate that. When the kids have no place to sit, disorder begins right away. I don't know where to put them, I don't know who is sitting where, I can't learn names, and I never know who is absent and who is present. I don't like calling out roll for 41 students every day. It takes a thousand years. But maybe that'll be helpful for the first week. Just call names for half an hour and everything will be good. :) I just plan on going over rules the first day. I'm trying to decide whether I want to give them a homework assignment, or whether I want them to write in class on Friday. If they write on Friday, then that gives them something to do. But what if they don't do it, or it's not enough. Some will say they don't have enough time, and others will waste it away because it's too easy. I wanted them to write me whatever they want (within reason -- no profanity, no drug or sex references, etc.), because I'm tired of reading the same thing, and I want to know what they want to tell me (about their families, lives, likes, dislikes, vacations, etc.). Alternatively, I could give them the assignment for homework tomorrow. But then what will we do on Friday? Life is just too difficult, isn't it?

I'm extremely nervous about going into my second year of teaching. I mean, on some level, I should be more secure. I have a whole year under my belt, and I've learned so much from experience. Yet, there is one distinct difference. There is more riding on this year. Last year I was new. I KNEW that it was going to be hell and that I was going to suck major ass. I was prepared for things to go wrong (well, not as wrong as they did, but hey...I like surprises, right? Right??). This time around, however, I should have improved. I SHOULD have a better handle on the class and the material. I should actually be able to teach. This year I'm assessing whether or not this is the profession for me and whether I will stay with this line of work or consider other alternatives.

1 Comments:

At 5:30 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just read your "anxiety" post about your first days back at BHS. I rarely get a chance to talk to teachers about their profession and how they handle the ups and downs. What does it take to be a good teacher? Patients, understanding, discipline? Does it depend on the material that is being taught? Sometimes I sit back and remember my HS days....and how much I hated school.

But it only took one teacher to change my life.

Mrs. Turner was my 11th grade U.S. History teacher. With my constant tardiness and lack of of organization, I was destined to fail her course. From time to time I would show interest in her lectures and occasionally turn in my homework. Half way through the semester I heard a rumor around campus that I was elected student of the month for Mrs. Turner's class. Next thing I knew I was invited to a banquet to receive an award....

"Why did you pick me to be your student of the month? You have plenty of smart students in class, but why ME?"

"....I picked you because you have potential. I see it in you. Now it's time for you to see it for yourself"

Those words changed me.

Are we destined to save these students? I think saving one is good enough....the rest is just icing on the cake.

Gerry

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home