Mango Martini

Taste it...

Monday, July 26, 2004

More Body Issues, etc.

Okay, it seems as though I've created a little "stir" with my last post.  I just have my weird moments (which probably occur too frequently, I do admit).  It's hard though, really.  Even this weekend I hung out with one of those friends about whom I was talking.  She's a size 2, and I had to hear her tell me she was fat for an entire day.  It's ludicrous.  If I looked like her, I'd be walking the streets naked to all sorts of funky imaginary music.  Ok, that actually sounds kinda scary.  But I would!  I think....

It's more than the body issue, though.  I'm feeling generally unsatisfied with my surroundings.  One reason is that I don't feel like I have enough "real" conversation during the day.  I talk to a million students a week, but none of them are intellectually stimulating.  There are other people with whom I converse as well, but still, there's something missing.  On Gabe's blog, he mentions the need for lengthy and continuous stimulating conversation.  I totally agree.  Back in the old days, Gabe and I used to talk until the wee hours of the morning.  Daily.  For years.  About everything and anything.  Admittedly though, he is more knowledgeable than most people I have ever met, so I'm not trying to fit all people I meet to such a standard.  I just don't feel like I'm learning anything new or being challenged mentally.  Don't get me wrong, I have intelligent conversations with a lot of people, but just not as regularly.  I always imagined the person with whom I'm meant to be as someone kinda like this.  Not as opinionated as Gabe (haha, sorry!  But at least you are the baseline for the standard characteristics of my "ideal" mate), but someone as adventurous, experienced, knowledgeable, and mentally active. 

I like being challenged.  I enjoy being pushed.  I love "arguing" about an issue until everyone falls asleep and then waking up to argue it some more.    I also value being able to sit quietly with someone -- comfortably -- for long periods of time.  However, there has to be a mixture.  It can't be just one or the other.

I guess I also feel inactive.  In college, we used to do all sorts of things.  I saw different movies in different theaters (new, old, funky, etc.), the symphony, bars, restaurants, parks, malls, churches, cities, etc.  I was exposed to new things weekly.  If not new ideas then various places.  I used to have lengthy conversations with homeless people even.  Now I roll up my window or ignore people as I walk by.  Life was so different, and everything (all aspects of life) were woven together.  Now, I feel a bit stuck.  I don't really do anything different.  I stay in the same places even. 

I need to get out.  I need an adventure.  Anyone up for it?

1 Comments:

At 9:19 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

.....looks like reality is hitting ya hard. The job. The 40 plus hours a week. I went through the same sh*t a few years back when I decided to take a break from school. I realized that I was romantizing life too much, so I decide to live life for a while. And I tell ya, life sucks! But I must confess, I did developed some good life skills that I will definitely benefit from down the road.

Maybe you should go back to school. Seems like the student life is for you, but don't plan on becoming a "career student" like some people I know.

So you want a challenge? Ok. How about getting comfortable with your own solitude? Come on now! Ain't ya got some cool Chinese proverb that talks about that????

Gerry

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home