Mango Martini

Taste it...

Saturday, May 07, 2005

Dogville

Yesterday I watched Dogville. A friend from school recommended it, and I finally got it through the Blockbuster mail rental service. I really had no idea what the story was about. I also had no idea that it was so long! Anyways, I thought it was rather good, and it made me think.

A lot of the story has to do with the idea of pardoning or excusing people and their behavior, attitudes, etc. because of situation or past experience. Nicole Kidman runs away to this little and remote town, and the audience thinks that it's she who needs to be accepted. However, it turns out that it's more about her accepting the townsfolk. Terrible things happen. But she forgives them and doesn't get angry. She exposes herself and suffers through real atrocities, but she accepts her fate and continues to believe the people are good, but weak. It's not their fault that they are weak. They are under stress. They are in a peculiar situation. They are afraid. They have strong weaknesses. They have a certain mentality, because of things they have gone through, because of where they live, because of things in their past which have altered their perceptions and caused disappointment. If she was in their place, she would be and do the same.

If you haven't seen the movie and plan on it, don't read the next paragraph. If you're planning on seeing it, and I wholly recommend it, then all the effectiveness will be lost by this.

Anyhow, she realizes later that her excuses are not enough. No, if in their place, she would not be or do the same. She would be judged accordingly. And she passes judgement on them.

This got me thinking. About my personal life, I guess. Lately, so many bad things about my relationship have come to light. So many problems and disappointments, bad decisions, and "unforgivable" actions. Yet I've been forgiving them all. I have been accepting and understanding, supportive and as positive as possible. Underneath, of course, I am pulsating with hatred, anger, and indignation, but I push all of that down (as best as possible), because I've been making excuses. There were circumstances. There has been an entire life history that has led up to this point which has created weaknesses. A person cannot be held solely responsible for his/her decisions and actions if circumstance has shaped a person a certain way. And a person cannot be scorned for mistakes made, because of this and because of many stressful situations all hitting at the same time.

However, is this truly the case? There will always be circumstances, will there not? There will always be a past, will there not? I too have weaknesses and experiences from my past which have created complexes and insecurities and negative tendencies. But is that enough? I am still judged by my actions. I still have choice. I may be influenced in certain ways, because of who I am and what I've been through, but does that excuse me?

I don't know. Half of me says yes, and the other half says no. I keep thinking that it's similar to the mentality wherein people believe a certain individual is exempt or deserves less punishment for a crime based on situation. He/she grew up in the ghetto. There were drugs, there were no parents, there were gangs and bad influnces. There were beatings and abuse, etc. And I get this. I understand how a person's past can influence their future actions and outlooks. But how far does the excuse go? To what point does one say, well, he/she can't help it. He/she is a product of society and his/her environment. Where is the line drawn? I mean, actions are actions. Maybe some are better understood than others, when all this is taken into consideration. Maybe some are forgiven more easily, and empathized with.

But are they excused?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home